Friday 19 March 2010

Hello everyone,
sorry I haven't blogged for a while. We were staying at Hartland Caravan & Camping Park but it was a mobile deadspot. Great campsite - Charlie loved the smells and sounds of the steel fabrication on site cos it reminded her of her childhood in Ewan's workshop!
We have now walked as far as Hartland Quay - 109 miles and stillgoing strong.
Couple of gripes tho - why are the builders of steps on footpaths all 6' 5" with long legs? (yes, I know the steps get deeper with erosion, but allow me my rant) I have to climb steps that come up to my knee and I'm no shorty, so, if the footpath step-builder employers would only employ short gentlemen or ladies, then we would have steps that are quite do-able (even after a little erosion).
Another (sort of) gripe; I'm getting annoyed - I see a hole in the ground but don't know who lives in it, I see footprints of a deer but don't know what sort of deer, there are birds, plants, trees, sounds I can't identify. Does anyone know Simon King's phone number? I need him here, on this walk, now. Any of the others on spring/autumnwatch would do just as well, but someone is needed!
Well, we're almost out of Devon already. Celebrated getting to Hartland Quay with a slap up dinner there which was really good. It was great to come round the corner at Hartland Point and see the big Atlantic Rollers breaking over huge rocks at ridiculous angles. We didn't split the section from Clovelly to Hartland very well - turned out to be 6 1/2 miles and 4 miles, but we managed it. Clovelly is still wonderful, but only if you pay £5.50 to get thru the visitor centre first.
We moved to a new campsite today - Budemeadows, just outside Bude. It's a very nice site with good facilities especially for Charlie. There's even a bath so I've promised myself a soak while we're here (5 nights). Our favourite campsite so far is still Brightlycott Barton near Barnstaple.
It was small, friendly, excellent facilities and so peaceful.
The weather has turned - it's throwing it down at the moment and we're sitting in the car (now called Gertie), Charlie and Roz are playing cards while I blog. I had to buy a new waterproof today - I re-proofed mine before we left and when I wore it yesterday the rain soaked straight thru! Bought a very bright green one so I'm more visible on the path. Tomorrow we start the hardest part of the path - Hartland Quay to Bude. We,ve split it into four days but it'll still be very hard going.
Think I'll join in this very exciting game of 'snap' which sounds as if it's getting quite violent ( don't we usually encourage children to play it?), think they're going to need a referee soon.
If anyone reading this sees Pete the Chiropractor think this site may know him - there's a bar here (not open cos it's low season) called 'Grumpy Pete's Bar'!!!!!
Should be able to blog regularly at this site as they have a re-charging service here as well as there being a signal.
Tata for now,
Love to you all,
Susan x

No comments:

Post a Comment